New York Mission Trip 2023
June 16-18, 2023
WHY: Many times Jesus teaches a new, different way of living and a new, different type of world he’s creating—one built on love, joy, peace, hope, justice, healing, and self-sacrifice. He refers to this as the Kingdom of God…and all BELONG at this table. The Kingdom has Come and we can bring a taste of Heaven on Earth when we participate in this way of life, especially when we step outside of our own culture, comfort, and status to care for those suffering in poverty and underprivileged. Yes, our time in New York will be a little taste of doing that ourselves—maybe even for the first time—but even more so it will be an opportunity to be with those who are different than us, and to see the Kingdom of God in every person we meet. We’ll receive as much from them as we’ll give by serving. And you’re not going to be able to spend a weekend in New York for less money than this!
We hope you’ll join us as we walk into new places that will teach us what BELONGING looks like in the Kingdom of God.
WHO: High School and Young Adult (18-22) students are eligible for this trip.
- Space is limited to 12 students! There will be 6 adult leaders 23+.
- Sign-up here to reserve your spot
WHEN: June 16-18
- Meet in the church parking lot @ 10am
- Lunch on the road in Allentown
- Check in at Trinity Lower East Side Hostel.
- Arrive at the University Soup Kitchen in Lower Manhatten @ 8am
- Prepare food for breakfast and lunch meals
- Serve restaurant style to over 300 people experiencing homelessness in NYC
- We also may help handle clothing donations
- Following our work Saturday, our evening will include a little exploring in the city, pizza dinner in Little Italy, and debrief discussion.
- Worship Service @ Trinity 11am
- Leave for home immediately following worship
- Stop for lunch on way back; Arrive in Hershey ~ 6pm
- $60 deposit upon signup; Cost may go down slightly after fundraiser
- Payment should be dropped off/mailed to church office with note “NYC Mission Trip” or given directly to Stephen
- Cash or Check. Checks written to First UMC Hershey
- Payment transferable (to another participant), but not refundable
- There are scholarships available. Please contact Stephen if interested.
Other Important Notes:
- We are staying in Trinity’s youth hostel. It will be more like camping than staying at a hotel. We’ll be sleeping on the floor with floor mats provided. We can also bring air mattresses. Though we will all be sleeping in the same room, we will create separate areas/boundaries for males and females. There are only 2 bathrooms and 1 shower, so we will have a personal care schedule. You will probably only be able to shower once during the weekend. We will be very safe, just out of our comfort zone. This was chosen to stay in the same neighborhood we are serving (just a 12 minute walk!), to save money, and experience something a little closer to what most New Yorkers live on a daily basis.
- Plan to bring $40-$50 for lunch Friday, church offering, and lunch Sunday
- You will be required to attend a pre-trip meeting in the Spring (tbd based on peoples’ schedules). We’ll primarily use this time to discuss/reflect on WHY we’re going, learn about NYC and homelessness, and talk about logistics so we’re prepared to make the most of our weekend together.